About Me

My photo
Adelaide, Australia
21 years young. Marketing & Accounting student at the University of Adelaide. YAC member for Campbelltown Council SA. Passionate about social media. Working full time as an accountant. Dreaming of NYC. Follow me on Twitter @cassie_deconno

Tuesday 2 August 2011

My name is Cassie and I'm addicted to Foursquare

Today, I stole two mayorships, added a new friend to my network, went to the top of the leader board, and checked into 8 different locations. For those who have no idea what Foursquare is, it's essentially Facebook Places but with far more interesting and competitive aspects.

I've been a daily user of Foursquare for almost a year now. Before Facebook Places was introduced whenever I mentioned checking in on Foursquare my friends thought I was a little crazy. Apart from the potential privacy issues, why would I want to share my location and what incentives are there to check in. Firstly, I only allow people I know to view my profile. If I don't know them I won't accept the friend request, solving the privacy issue. Sharing my location is for a variety of reasons. Letting my friends know that I'm visiting a trendy restaurant, in an University lecture, or even at work. I can also see where they are, if they are nearby I can call them to catch up. The incentives are beating your friends in points, the more unique check ins the more points you receive. Some social media savvy businesses are jumping on the Foursquare bandwagon and offering discounts or special offers when you check in there. Personally, I have only unlocked one Foursquare special. The Austral on Rundle street, every check in you can redeem $10 jugs when you show your phone at the bar. Perfect for the struggling university student!

Foursquare solves the biggest dilemma I often have in life, deciding where to catch up with friends. I can bookmark locations so when the need to go out for dinner arises I have a list of places to choose from. Not only does it save time deciding but often I can visit new restaurants every time, something I love to do. I can also view tips from other Foursquare users about their experiences, positive or negative. I've chosen a particular meal based solely on a stranger's tip.

If you don't have Foursquare I suggest you download it right now, open an account, and start checking in. You can thank me later.

2 comments:

  1. Ye shall nought steal me mayorship of the business school. Although I shall be physically in Singapore on the week of the 19th of September. D'oh!

    ReplyDelete