About Me

My photo
Adelaide, Australia
21 years young. Marketing & Accounting student at the University of Adelaide. YAC member for Campbelltown Council SA. Passionate about social media. Working full time as an accountant. Dreaming of NYC. Follow me on Twitter @cassie_deconno

Friday 5 August 2011

Online shopping versus the retailers

The battle between online shopping and Australian retailers has ignited in the media once again. Being a passionate shopper I decided to put both forms of shopping to the test by engaging in some retail therapy, all in the name of research of course.


Gift shopping at Tea Tree Plaza
I knew I want to buy a piece of jewellery for this gift but also wanted to browse what was available before purchasing. Having numerous jewellery stores in close proximity to each other made it easy enough to browse fairly quickly. I finally settled on a particular store, Pandora, and received the most amazing customer service I have perhaps ever encountered. A young lady named Rebecca, was polite, offered suggestions and above all was patient when I simply needed more time to consider my decision. After complimentary gift wrapping the transaction was complete. I walked away completely satisfied and with the gift in hand.

Online shopping on Forever 21
I was given a gift voucher for a popular online shopping store for my birthday and finally decided to use it. Given the shipping on this particular website is fairly expensive I needed to make a substantial purchase to make it worth the shipping costs. I sat on the couch, iPad on my lap, coffee next to me, searching clothes by item, colour, size, price, whatever my heart desired. I asked for the opinion of my sister and Mum intermittently all from the comfort of my own home. I saved many items on my online bag and when I thought I had exhausted every aspect of the website I decided it was time to start culling. I went through my bag and removed items until the only things left would be suitable purchases. Within literally the click of a button everything was purchased and would be on my doorstep within 10-15 business days.

Honestly, I don't know what retailers can do to entice consumer back into stores and away from online shopping. I know that I can get 4 beautiful cocktail dresses delivered to my door for the same price of buying one at a store. I know what option I would choose. Yet online stores can't offer the same amount of amazing customer service that I received today. I know next time I need to buy a special gift the very first store I will look at will be Pandora. Consumers are looking out for their best interests and for many online shopping satisfies their every need. I don't agree that the deregulation of trading hours is the answer to bringing consumers back. Retailers need to put in far more effect to entice consumers back and if they take too long they may lose many consumers to online shopping forever.

I know this debate won't be solved anytime soon but the overall winners throughout all of this will most definitely be consumers.

No comments:

Post a Comment